Your voice. Your topic. Your play.
City Opera House invites regional high school students to submit an original one-act play—just 9-12 pages with 4 characters or less—to the 8th Annual Young Playwrights Festival. Finalists are paired with national theater mentors, win $100 and see their play performed on the City Opera House stage.
Script entry deadline: Friday, December 13, 2019
Semifinalists and finalists announced: February 2020
YPF Festival: April 19, 2020 (for finalists)
- You get picked as one of six finalists
- Your story gets told
- Your play is produced
- Your work is performed at City Opera House
- You get your own national theater mentor
- $100 in your pocket
- You get your first work performed before you graduate
One-act plays are only nine to twelve pages of script with lines and spaces for each character and you only have time for one significant event. Start writing.
- Entry form
- How to write a one act play and sample script
- Young Playwrights Festival Trailer
Educators and mentors play a vital role in Young Playwrights Festival. Educators and mentors play a key role in the success of the program. Whether you hand pick students with a passion for writing or incorporate Young Playwrights Festival into the classroom curriculum or program we welcome your support.